Saturday, April 09, 2011

Full Moon Horror Fest

Today was an event I had circled on my calendar for a while: Full Moon Horror Fest at Portage Theater. In truth, I cared a lot less about the The Charles Band EVIL BONG 3-D Full Moon Roadshow w/the puppets and all that, incl. the Evil Bong flick. What really had my juices going was the addition of the Stuart Gordon/Jeffrey Combs/Barbara Crampton Trilogy on the big screen! Not to mention that both Barbara and Stuart would be there for a Q&A. Yes, I was amped for this.
It was great to see Stuart and Barbara hobnobbing in the lobby with Capone prior the event beginning. There were already big lines for the stacks of DVDs and promos that Full Moon had on display. Finally after a long delay From Beyond (1986) began after a short intro. How cool is this film? That cool. 7.5/10

Got to hear both Stuart and Barbara discuss the film and introduce the next film which I still had not watched despite owning it on DVD. Castle Freak (1995) was received well by the horror crowd on hand as it should. Really good film with some excellent character moments by Combs. I even asked a question afterward about the long bar sequence that Combs seemed to be improvising. Barbara agreed with me that it is an amazing scene! (She rocks!) 7/10

Next up was the "event" film premiere of Evil Bong 3-D: The Wrath of Bong (2011) that also including sniff-o-rama cards. I haven't seen the prior installments of this. After viewing this one, I won't be in a rush to see 'em either. Kind of a dumb film and premise in which the 3D didn't add much. The sniff cards were mostly effective but after the screening the entire theater smelled like my basement in High School. Disgusting. 5/10

Finally the one we'd all been waiting for… Re-Animator (1985). Earlier I had debated leaving before it started b/c everything was running so late and I was tired. But I stuck around after it started and I'm glad I did. This is such a great film to see on big screen in theater packed with horror fans. 7.7/10

Great night and so glad to talk to both Stuart and Barbara. She really is one of the nicest people I've met in the business. Definitely will be one of my favorite nights of the year!


  • April New: 9
  • April Re-watch: 4
  • April '11 Total: 13
  • April '10 Total: 68
  • 2011 Total: 242

No comments: