Saturday, January 30, 2010

Classic Monster Films at Portage Theater

Disappointed I couldn't get my act together to hit a couple of After Dark Horrorfest films during the day. But at least I made it out to Portage Theater for another Classic Monster Films event. Skipped the first one as I'd seen King Kong Escapes at G-Fest a few years ago (and own it) but made it for The Monolith Monsters (1957) and War of the Colossal Beast (1958) a.k.a. Revenge of the Colossal Man, neither of which I had seen before. Overall fun evening (didn't stay for last screening of Hugh Jackman's Van Helsing).

Came home to see Jodie Foster and Gerald Butler in Nim's Island (2008). It was watchable. Followed that with the worst adaptation I've seen of Journey to the Center of the Earth (this one from 1989). O.M.G. this is bad. By the 3rd act I couldn't even follow what was going on. Horrendous. And, yes, I'm trying to watch every JttCotE film adaptation. So far the 1959 version is still the best.

No comments: