Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day of the Apes

Planet of the Apes movie night was something I was looking forward to ever since I picked up the PotA blu-ray set a few weeks ago. This was a planned event to revisit all the PotA sequels and show them to Ron's boys for the first time. Also I've been itching to watch the PotA films again since the Drafthouse Apes event a few of my friends went to (still to this day haven't seen any of the Apes flicks on the big screen; super jealous of my friends that got all five in one sitting).

Since Ewan and Gavin had already seen the original PotA, we started promptly with Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970), which I've often cited as my favorite in the series. Love everything about this movie and it's apocalyptic ending. 7.5 / 10


After that ending it's amazing they found the creative juices to make Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971) and make it convincing. Such a corny film sweet with some touching moments. This movie made me so sad when when I was a child. 7 / 10

It's often hard to think which film has stuck with me the most over the years especially not having seen them for so many years. Images from the first films have imprinted on my mind but the story of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes (1972) has remained the strongest for me. I've always loved the rise of Cesar and how he orchestrates it. Great film. 8 / 10

No one will question that Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973) is the weakest of the films but it has its moments. Paul Williams is also fun. At first I wasn't sure I had seen this film but the entire story of Cesar's son overhearing --- came back to me. 6.5 / 10

It was fun revisiting all four of the sequels with Ron's kids. As always they provided some fun commentary. Ewan agreed that Conquest is the best of these.



  • July New: 27
  • July Re-watch: 8
  • July '11 M.T.D.: 35
  • July '10 M.T.D.: 54
  • 2011 Y.T.D.: 421

No comments: