Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Serial Detecting

One of my favorite aspects of Netflix Instant Watch is the ability to watch items that I'd probably not have a chance to see otherwise. Case in point, Boris Karloff as James Lee Wong in the Mr. Wong, Detective (1938) series. Karloff is so much fun to watch, esp. his take on an Asian again (see: Mask of Fu Manchu). 7 / 10

Eden of the East the Movie I: The King of Eden (2009) was also on the Instawatch so gave it a whirl. Very convoluted anime (big surprise) and not compelling enough for me to seek out the second movie. Visually cool but meh. 6.5 / 10

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986) is another film that's alluded me over the years. Now I know why this flick always seems to get some rave recommendations. This is solid, sadistic and damn good. Michael Rooker is lights out. 7.5 / 10

  • June New: 46
  • June Re-watch: 3
  • June '11 MTD: 49
  • June '10 MTD: 64
  • 2011 YTD: 365

No comments: