Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spies Like Us

Richard Burton in Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1965) is so damn good. Claire Bloom is also great. Wasn't so much into the intrigue aspect but really enjoyed the characters interacting. And the tone in b&w creates the mood.

Martin Scorsese's Shutter Island (2010) hit all the right notes for me. Helped that I wasn't expecting much going in even tho the storyline is far too predictable. But despite that I was along for the ride and ate it up. Would consider this one of Scorsese's better films in recent years and easily one of the best DiCaprio performances. I was so sleepy during the first hour but totally woke up in the second hour. Really enjoyable.

Man, I completely had the wrong idea about Big Night (1996) going into it. Thought it was going to be something entirely different and unfortunately wanted it to be something different. As it was, Tucci & Scott make a capable film about the struggle of small Italian restaurant and the relationship of the two brothers but I really wanted more focus on the food. Yes, there is the celebration of well-prepared dishes but not enough.

No comments: