Monday, April 19, 2010

Lighten up, Francis

April Re-Watch Film: Stripes (1981). Truth: saw this theatrically and didn't care so much for it. Over the years it's grown me but still was meh about it. But found on this viewing that I enjoy it a lot more despite the issues I still have in the third act.

I'm a little saddened that Jim Wynorski's take on family fare, Munchie (1992), is OOP. While not being the best of its kind it still has a charm worthy of any kid's collection. If I were a youngster and viewed this, I'm sure I'd love it. What kid wouldn't want their own little creature that makes wishes come true? I know I did (still do). Great cast too with Andrew Effin' Stevens, Loni Anderson, a fragile Jennifer Love Hewitt and the voice of Dom DeLuise. Fun seeing Wynorski's risque sensibility threaded throughout.


If you know me (or read my tally posts) you know that I would love a film called Captain Nemo and the Underwater City (1969). And thanks to Warner Archives, I now own this film. Directed by James Hill and featuring Robert Ryan as Nemo there's a lot to enjoy in this ridiculous installment on the adventures of Nemo and his hatred towards land-dwellers. The underwater city & models are outstanding. The set pieces are crazy. And the idea they harvest gold so easily it's literally scrap metal is also crazy. Chuck Connors makes for an admirable hero and Luciana Paluzzi (Thunderball) is as fetching as ever. Not for everyone but people like me.
  • April New: 31
  • April Re-watch: 19
  • April Total: 50
  • 2010 TOTAL: 237

No comments: