Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Fantastic Fest Day Six

Tuesday was one of those days of the fest that was circled before the fest even started. This was primarily due to one of the films featured today and today only during the festival. Knowing this I headed over to S.Lamar very early in hopes of getting boarding passes for the films I wanted. As it turned out I scored them all!


First up was the Finnish "holiday" film Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010). This had a lot of buzz after its first screening and was already on my calendar for this slot so I was worried I may not get into it but I did and it was so worth it! Based on some short films it's essential a dark comedy / horror film about the not-so-sweet legend of Santa Claus and his "discovery" in Finland. I don't want to give away too much because it's a film I want everyone to see. It is my #5 overall film from FF. 8/10


Second film of the day was the collaboration effort Mutant Girls Squad (2010). This was directed by Noboru Iguchi (The Machine Girl), Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police) and Tak Sakaguchi (Samurai Zombie). Not sure why it took all three J-splatter horror directors to make this because it's relatively simple and exactly what you'd expect from any of them on their own. And if you're familiar with any of those titles then you already have an idea of what kind of movie this is. And for that I enjoyed it and its levity. 6.5/10


Next up was the film featured only today and the one I thought I wouldn't get a boarding pass for... I was wrong! I was lucky to score one of few remaining passes that morning for Sion Sono's Cold Fish (2010). Having still not seen his Love Exposure, which I understand to be brilliant, I would probably place Cold Fish at the top of those I have seen. It carries many similar themes from his other work centered around a dysfunctional family unit. It's best to go into this one blind and let it engulf you. It's insanely good and my #6 overall film of the fest. 8/10

My fourth film today was actually meant to be Ip Man 2 but since Micah was heading home, he was kind enough to transfer his Secret Screening #3 boarding pass to me! Super swell of him. Unfortunately the screening didn't turn out as I would have liked. When we entered the theater Real3D glasses were waiting for us. Since Steve-O was seen roaming the Highball my thought was that we were getting Jackass 3D (opening in a couple of weeks). Since I'm not a big fan of Jackass was deflated at this realization. Steve-O did come in and provided a introduction to a clip of the film that included lighting his head on fire. After the clip he did a little Q&A that was actually pretty damn funny. And that was it! No film! I thought the joke was going to be that we were going to get the complete film but no! Instead, Tim League introduced actual Secret Screening film as Yoshihiro Nishimura's just completed, world premiere of Hell Driver (2010)!!


Admittedly I was amped when I heard this because the clips I had seen looked great (in only the way Nishimura's flicks can look great - check out that cool poster art). Unfortunately after 30 minutes into the flick my excitement had devolved to disappointment. This was not going to be a good film. Yet it continued. And continued. And became a real matter of attrition. Who would stick it out to the eventual end? Capone from AICN was sitting next me and kept waiting for him to leave but he hung in there. I kept thinking how much better Ip Man 2 would have been. By the end after a 2 hour runtime I turned out to see that most of the audience had cleared out. Not a good experience and I had a headache from sitting so close to the screen w/a bad viewing angle. Being exhausted didn't help. I think there is a better film in there if 30 minutes are trimmed but at 2 hours, no, I cannot recommend nor want to see again. boo! 4.5/10

I didn't select a film for my final slot. I elected to attend the 100 Best Kills Party because it sounded fun based on previous years. It was hosted by Zach & Lars and it was a riot. Just what I needed to finish my night. Also great to enjoy it with Damon (@zombiefreak) my new BFFF. Props to Micah for his Gayracula clip! Damon gave me a ride back to the hotel where I quickly succumbed to slumber.

26 Films watched, 1 shorts program, 2 events. 2 days left!

Next: Fantastic Fest Day Seven
View my Fantastic Fest Day Five coverage.
  • September New: 70
  • September Re-watch: 0
  • September Total: 70
  • 2010 TOTAL: 577

No comments: