Saturday, October 30, 2010

Annual Horror Movie Night


Kicked off Halloween movie night with Bert Gordon's Empire of the Ants (1977) streaming from NWI. We had Shannon, her husband Jon, pAT, myself plus Ron's family in attendance this year. Sadly only Shannon, Jon & myself dressed up in costumes (they made for a wonderful Peg & Al Bundy!). Empire is laughable but pays off in the end. I will watch Joan Collins in anything pre-1980s. Having never seen this before I was excited to see that flick esp. since I have the half-sheet. "Beware of the sugar refinery." 6.5/10

Followed that with The Mist (2007) in black & white. Yeah, still dig the shit outta Darabont's Stephen King adaptation. Plays even better with a crowd. Great to see it again in that environment. Everyone really enjoyed it. 7.8/10

The House of the Devil (2009) I saw last year and loved so much I've been itching to see it again. Brought my DVD since Ron & I discussed a possible screening. Fortunately none of our other guests had seen it so it was an ideal candidate. Mixed reactions but overall good. Adore this film and Ti West for making it. Tom Noonan is so great. pAT commented that my costume (a lumberjack) was AJ Bowen's character. Nice compliment. 8/10

Michael Winner's The Sentinel (1977) was our final viewing via NWI and what a pleasant surprise this was… as much as it was that *everyone* stuck around to see it (was already pushing 2AM). Damn is this flick so much fun. John Carradine, Ava Gardner, Eli Wallach, a wacky Burgess Meredith, and bare-breasted Beverly D'Angelo? Did I mention Jerry Orbach and a subdued, young Christopher Walken? Sign me up. Such a bizarre little film. 7.5/10

And there ends another highly enjoyable Halloween Movie Night! Already looking forward to next year.
  • October New: 56
  • October Re-watch: 16
  • October Total: 72
  • 2010 TOTAL: 656

No comments: