Saturday, October 09, 2010

Music Box Massacre 6 - 24 hours of Horror!


Still sick as all hell (thank you food poisoning) and lacking sleep there was no way I was gonna miss my first Music Box Massacre, 24 hours of horror films at the Music Box Theater. I headed down and got there just in time for the first flick The Phantom of the Opera (1925) with a live organ accompaniment. This was easily the best viewing of this film for me (and my 600th film watched this year!) but I was beginning to feel my day would not be long. 7.5/10

Next was The Raven (1935) which I had not seen before today. It's got both Karloff and Lugosi and it's excellent. Has a few great comedy moments as well. This is one I can see watching a few times. 7.2/10

Stuck around for Lon Chaney Jr in The Wolf Man (1941) since it's been a while (last viewing was an all werewolf Halloween movie night a few years ago). Still such a fun movie and more humorous in places than I remembered. 7.2/10


I skipped the next film, Romero's Hungry Wives, since I just viewed that the evening before I left for Fantastic Fest last month. But I did make a point to stay long enough for the Chiodo brothers introduction and post-screening Q&A for Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988). It's been a long time since I've seen this and never on the big screen. Quite a lot of fun with a huge audience (it was literally a standing room only screening!). 6.7/10


Really hated having to leave such a fine horror festival early. Did manage to pick a few DVD gems that made me happy and less regretful for leaving before midnight. One upside was getting a free movie pass for turning in my bracelet early so not an entire loss. However I really wanted to see The House By The Cemetery on the big screen again as well as Basket Case, The Funhouse and Psycho on the big screen.

Ended up returning home and watched The Devil Rides Out (1968), another Hammer Horror featured on TCM that I recorded last night. Maybe it was my sickened state but I just didn't connect with this film. Maybe someday I'll see it again. 6.2/10
  • October New: 16
  • October Re-watch: 4
  • October Total: 20
  • 2010 TOTAL: 604

No comments: