Saturday, December 18, 2010

Friday the 13th Marathon

My evening viewing was a special event that @scottfinn and I arranged some time ago when all the Friday the 13th films were added to Netflix Watch Instantly. Wanting to revisit a few of them I submitted the idea we make a movie night out of it. So we did. I headed over to Scott's home where he had all the films queued up. We debated which ones to watch, and we were somewhat agreeable.

First up was Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981), which I only vaguely remembered and wanted to see. It came back to me as it went along. Pretty good sequel to the original and first true Jason. I recommended Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984), the fourth film in the franchise directed by Joe Zito, next because I don't ever recall seeing it. It's often considered one of the best but for whatever reason I don't ever remember viewing it. It features a very young Corey Feldman and Crispin Glover too. Very good entry and one I'll probably revisit again.

After those two, I suggested Part 7 because I know I haven't seen that one but Scott objected and would agree only if we watched Part 6 and ultimately 2 more films (I had anticipated we would only watch 3 films total). I was up for it. So we dove into Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986), my favorite of the series simply because it's when I consider the F13 franchise turning towards making Jason the antihero. I originally saw this flick upon release back in '86 and loved the hell out of it. Recently I bought it on DVD. Jason returns from the dead with supernatural strength. The comedy works. Adore this film.

Now late in our night it was time for one I haven't seen, Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988). I've always heard mixed things about this one, more on the unfavorable side and now I know why. This one deals with a girl who has psychic powers and telekinesis. She mistakenly resurrects Jason from the lake instead of her dead father and the havoc begins. Such a WTF flick but still very watchable. Glad to have seen it with Scott, who is somewhat of a F13 historian. After that we called it a night. And a good night it was. Looking forward to the next movie night with Scott, a true lover of old school slasher horror.
  • December New: 43
  • December Re-watch: 5
  • December Total: 48
  • 2010 TOTAL: 765

No comments: