Thursday, December 23, 2010

Secret Grit

This morning as I attempted to sleep I picked off The Secret of Kells (2009) from NWI. Had heard great things about this flick when had its limited release earlier in the year. Unfortunately the animation is really the only shining star here. The story is a bit weak. A wooded village controlled by monks builds a wall to prevent the inevitable onslaught of warriors. Yeah, see it for the animation. 6.7/10

As I was packing I decided to give the original True Grit (1969) another go. A lot of people have been saying that the original is not a good film or that the updated Coen Brothers' version is so much better. I recall enjoying that flick so I felt a rematch was needed. Suffice it to say, I still love the original. Since both films use the same source material, the novel by Charles Portis, much of the dialogue is nearly identical. Can't say I love one film over the other because I really love John Wayne's performance. And I don't mind Glen Campbell. Plus there's Bobby Duvall and Dennis Hopper. 7.7/10
  • December New: 54
  • December Re-watch: 6
  • December Total: 60
  • 2010 TOTAL: 777

No comments: