Friday, March 12, 2010

Ride, Octopus, Ride!

Finally got around to watching Larry Bishop's Hell Ride (2008). While a appreciate the effort and homage to those awesome late 60s & early 70s motorcycle flicks, this film is really ho-hum in its execution. Not a terrible watch (visually it does look great) but the spirit of those early flicks (and what made them great is missing).

Another film I caught up was Clooney's masterful Good Night and Good Luck (2005). I enjoyed this film highlighting this particular period in time and the tension of those times but I forced myself on this one. One of these days I'll have to watch again to appreciate all the subtleties. The look of this film is beautiful.



Now a film genre I love in Warlords of Atlantis (1978), featuring one of my favorite actors of this genre Doug McClure. The miniature work is great (love the giant octopus!). Honestly, I love old school sci-fi fantasy films like this one so much I could watch them everyday. They are my comfort films. I mean, look at those posters!! So damn cool.

No comments: