Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Armored Apocalypse


Dipped back into the Inglorious Bastards 2: Hell Heroes DVD, this time for Apocalypse Mercenaries (1986) directed by Leandro Lucchetti. Another not so hot 80s macaroni combat film yet has an awesome score, which is a little surprising given the mismatched stock footage used for several scenes. If you can tolerate that this one is worth a look simply for the score.

Followed that with Nimród Antal's Armored (2009). Wish I could say that I liked this but really there isn't much to see in this glorified television film with movie actors. Everyone from Matt Dillon to Jean Reno to Laurence Fishburne provide competent performances but the film just isn't that interesting. And the fact that it's tied up rather neatly by the end just confirms how meh this really is. Rent it if you want but don't expect much.

One more from the Inglorious Bastards 2: Hell Heroes DVD: Afganistan - The Last War Bus (1989) a.k.a. War Bus 2. This one is my favorite of the 3 I've watched from this set mainly b/c of Mark Gregory as Johnny Hondo as the lead hero. Doesn't mean this is a good film (it's not) but it was more enjoyable than the others. Maybe it's because this ragtag team fashions an armored vehicle from a bus (hence the name). Silly but I kinda dug it. Still bad.

To cap the evening I revisited the creepy Invaders from Mars (1953). This film frightened me as a child and occasionally I think of the imagery & sequences it presents. I think the idea of alien possession really got to me and made me concerned for the same thing happening to my own father. Film holds up and still resides on my top 5 alien invader list for good cause.
  • June New: 33
  • June Re-watch: 4
  • June Total: 37
  • 2010 TOTAL: 360

No comments: