Thursday, June 17, 2010

Toymation


Admission: I've never been a big fan of Wallace & Gromit. There I said it. It's one of the reasons why I haven't watched much of their films ("their" as if they are real). But I stumbled on Wallace & Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) the other day so what the hey. Yeah, it's pretty good w/some good voice acting and stopmo claymation. Very inventive. Still not a big fan.

Finally from TCM the rather odd Gypsy Girl (1966) that has a much better plot summary than it actually delivers: "A young, lonely, mentaly retarded teenage girl finds solace in burying dead animals after the sudden death of a friend of hers." Sounds cool, right? But, erm, doesn't really nail that or pay off in way that kept me interested. Felt it could've been much better if really had stuck to that synopsis rather than meander thru the character interactions without ever really developing the main character Brydie White. That is to say, I didn't get sense of her real motivation. Young Ian McShane is fine and provides some stability to the plot but still not enough to make it compelling. Didn't work for me.

In anticipation of viewing Toy Story 3 on the big screen I decided to revisit Toy Story (1995). Forgot the subtle nod to classic horror film. Really love this movie even more now.
  • June New: 37
  • June Re-watch: 5
  • June Total: 42
  • 2010 TOTAL: 365

No comments: