Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Closer Than You Think

Looking for a downer look no further than Collapse (2009). Acutely directed by Chris Smith, this documentary is a rather sedate Q&A with known and oft mislabeled conspiracy theorist Michael Ruppert in which he outlines the real decline of the western civilization (and global disintegration, for that matter) in terrifying detail. To say this is a wake up call is akin to arriving late to a party; the process is already in motion and the notion of this weighs heavy on the mind. It's a hard film to let go as one can see nearly everything mentioned here currently happening. Still can't knock it from my head as it's certainly changed the way I view many things in my own life. I've said more than once that this would make the ideal yet sobering double feature with The Road.

On a MUCH lighter (and needed) note, I also watched Richard Benjamin's My Favorite Year (1982) featuring the remarkable Peter O'Toole in yet another entertaining role as the famous onscreen swashbuckler Alan Swann. Good amount a levity to keep this afloat throughout. Thoroughly enjoyable!

No comments: