Sunday, December 13, 2009

Drink Blood & Shop

Took two sittings (it's 2+ hours long) and some chapter rewatches but Park Chan-wook's Thirst definitely hits the mark. Interesting flick for sure and quite different from his previous work (altho equally as quirky as I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK). Was not excited about Ok-bin Kim (female lead) in the first half but love her character arc thru the finish. Very enjoyable but severely disappointed w/the terrible US DVD release (burned in subtitles? no features?). Hopefully they'll give this film a proper release that it deserves. Best vampire film of 2009.

OK, I'll admit to crushing on Isla Fisher as my excuse for watching Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009). Otherwise, this is as forgettable and silly as it gets for a rom-com. If you've seen the trailer you've seen the movie. But Isla Fisher...

When I first got my Instant Watch going on my PS3, I fired up Journey to the Magic Cavern based on the cover art alone. Didn't realize it was only one chapter in a series of films based on Josh Kirby... Time Warrior, a straight to TV or video fantasy sci-fi series from 1995. But I cancelled that viewing and my curiosity led me to add the first film... er, chapter to my queue: Josh Kirby...Time Warrior: Planet of the Dino Knights. Besides the cute Jennifer Burns this really isn't a very good film or series or whatever you wanna call it. It's like a made for kids Saturday morning throwaway that I probably would've enjoyed if I was 8 years old. Unlikely I'll watch the other 5 chapters anytime soon. Should be noted that a young Charisma Carpenter has a very small part in Chapter One.

No comments: