Thursday, May 20, 2010

Devil 'Shrooms

I'm surprised as you are that I've never watched Ishiro Honda's Matango: Attack of the Mushroom People (1963) in its entirety. Especially considering it's one of Gavin's favorite films (according to Ron). And because I really treasure 60s era Japanese sci-fi films. And Matango is no exception. But it's even more than that; it's also a great study on the human condition as this group of castaways try to survive this this bizarre island.

Another Criterion thriller that I've been putting off for some time is Clouzot's Diabolique (1955). This is probably due to having seen the 1996 remake (theatrically no less) and I wish I hadn't... at least not before seeing the original, which is way better and way more terrifying. Definitely a classic for a reason.
  • May New: 44
  • May Re-watch: 7
  • May Total: 51
  • 2010 TOTAL: 306

No comments: