Sunday, January 09, 2011

Get Your Motor Running

Motorama (1991) where a boy can steal a car and drive across country encountering character actors along the way while fulfilling his dream. No seriously this is fun little flick that reminds me a lot of my child- and adulthood. Cool to see all the familiar faces make cameo appearances. 6.7/10

An American Rhapsody (2001) starring ScarJo, Nastassja Kinski, and Tony Goldwyn popped up on FLIXe when I was channel-surfing killing time before a football game. This early appearance by a young Scarlett Johansson had me intrigued. It's based on the true story of director/writer Éva Gárdos and her family's plight to escape Hungary after the war. Not a bad watch with decent acting all around. 6.5/10

Screamtime (1983) is a horror anthology directed by Michael Armstrong & Stanley Long that was recently added to NWI. Credit @ReelDistraction for noticing this and informing the rest of us who promptly queued it. I rather enjoyed all three of the short horror stories nearly equally. The first dealing with puppets, the second with a haunting visions, and the final tale of killer garden gnomes all framed by a couple of scumbags that rob a video store. 7/10

Picked up Paul W.S. Anderson's Death Race (2008) on blu-ray from my library feeling the desire to revisit. Think I enjoyed it as much as I did during my theater viewing. Not sure what made this version "unrated" because it looks the same. Watched the making-of featurettes. Someday I'll probably buy this one. It's silly fun as long as you don't shit on the sidewalk. 7/10
  • January New: 23
  • January Re-watch: 3
  • January '11 Total: 26
  • January '10 Total: 51
  • 2010 TOTAL: 26

No comments: